Training Fellow in General Surgery
- Upper GI
- ST1/2 level
- Fixed term: 2 years
- Full time - 40 hours per week (40)
- Royal Stoke
- Stoke on Trent
- £39,467 £39,467
- 19/01/2022 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
From 1st April 2022 all NHS workers in England with face to face contact with patients must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Only those with medical exemptions will be excluded from this requirement. Please consider this mandatory requirement when applying for this position.
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
Training Fellow in Upper GI
Applications are invited for the above post, to commence a.s.a.p. This is a surgical Unit, which includes the specialties of, breast, upper and lower GI surgery and paediatric surgery. The University is affiliated to Keele Medical School; the department thus provides undergraduate training. We are involved in the regional specialist training programme based in the West Midland and provide active and broad training to registrars and juniors doctors.
Main duties of the job
Duties and Responsibilities
- To participate in the provision of general and specialist services within the General Surgery & Urology Directorate
- To assist in ward management including electronic discharges.
- To contribute to the training of junior medical staff.
- To participate in the management of emergency General Surgical and Urological patients whilst on-call.
- To assist in the undertaking of full clinical computerised audit within the department.
- To assist in theatre sessions when required.
Working for our organisation
The Trust consists of two sites, the larger Royal Stoke University Hospital in Stoke on Trent and the smaller County Hospital situated in Stafford, about 17 miles south of Stoke. Critical Care services are only based in Royal Stoke University Hospital. The £350 million state-of-the-art hospital complex at the Royal Stoke site opened in March 2013 bringing all acute services (including Neurosurgery and Cardiothoracic Surgery) to a single site.
UHNM employs 10,300 staff based across the Royal Stoke University Hospital and the County Hospital sites. The on-site Keele Undergraduate Medical School opened in September 2002.
UHNM delivers general acute services for approximately 700.000 people living in and around Staffordshire. We are also the Major Trauma Center for 3 million people in a wider area including neighbouring counties and North Wales.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Training Fellow in Upper GI
Fixed term post from a.s.a.p.
Please see attached job pack detailing the job description
- MBBS or equivalent
- Full GMC registration
- Awards/distinctions whilst studying for 1st degree
- A minimum of 2 years at SHO level in a substantive post in general surgery within the UK or equivalent experience
- Training at SPR level or equivalent experience in a sub-specialty of general surgery
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Mr Athwal
- Job title
- Upper GI Surgeon
- Email address
- Additional information
If you require any further information, please contact Tejinderjit.Athwal@uhnm.nhs.uk