Bank Medicines Management Technician
- Band 5
- Flexible working
- Royal Stoke University Hospital
- Stoke on Trent
- £24,907 - £30,615 pro rata per annum
- 23/06/2021 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
We are currently have an opportunity for people to join our bank staff . This is an exciting opportunity to join our friendly pharmacy team. We are looking for highly motivated, enthusiastic and dedicated Pharmacy Technicians to join our medicines management team to provide a clinical pharmacy service to a range of specialist wards.
We currently have opportunities at both the Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital.
Main duties of the job
The role will be undertaking medicines management duties at ward level including assessing patients own medicines, obtaining drug histories using summary care records and ordering patients medicines as part of discharge preparation. You will be a key member of the clinical pharmacy team. The post holder will be given the opportunity to develop their clinical knowledge and undertake training and development within the role.
Working for our organisation
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust is one of the largest and most modern in the country. We serve around three million people and we’re highly regarded for our facilities, teaching and research. The Trust has around 1,450 inpatient beds across two sites in Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford.
Our 11,000 strong workforce provide emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care from Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital in Stafford. We are the specialist centre for major trauma for the North Midlands and North Wales. We have put together a wide range of development packages aimed at ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential. Our goal is to be a world-class centre of achievement, where patients receive the highest standards of care and the best people come to learn, work and research.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
You will work with and assist Lead Pharmacy Technicians and Pharmacists in providing a wide range of Medicines Optimisation Pharmacy Services. This will include: daily ward visits, accurate drug history taking and documentation, assessment of Patients Own Drugs, counselling of patients / carers regarding medication and ordering of patient specific medicines as necessary.
There will also be a requirement to undertake accuracy checking duties both at ward level and within the dispensary.
- NVQ level 3 in Pharmaceutical Services
- National Accredited Checking Technician (ACT) qualification
- Registered Pharmacy Technician with the General Pharmaceutical Council
- A1 NVQ Assessor Qualification or willing to undertake
- Member of the Association of Pharmacy Technicians
- Minimum 2 year post qualification experience in a Hospital
- Commitment and evidence of professional updating and continuous professional development
- Have up to date knowledge of specialist areas for ward based services; dispensary; aseptic; distribution and / or procurement.
- Patient counselling skills – pleasant professional manner; knowledge of use of medicines and advising patients; assessing patient’s pharmaceutical care needs.
- Previous experience of automation
- Previous experience of medicines management and patient’s own drug schemes or medicines management services to nursing / residential homes
Skills, Ability and Knowledge
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing e.g. good telephone manner, polite face to face, email, accurately record relevant details.
- Understand importance of, and adherence to standard operating procedures and UHNS policies
- Up to date knowledge of the legal requirements for dispensing and supplying medicines (including controlled drugs)
- Good knowledge of commonly prescribed drugs, their uses and main counselling points
- Able to communicate information about medicines when there is a barrier to understanding.
- Knowledge of medication safety and governance safety issues and the implications for dispensary and ward based services
- Able to deal with complaints / confrontations on wards and handle sensitive issues
- Supervisory skills to supervise Pharmacist Assistants, Students, Pre-Registration Students, Bank staff, Rotational Pharmacy Technicians
- Demonstrate knowledge with health and safety and COSHH risk assessments for safe working and good practice
- Staff management
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Diane Massey
- Job title
- Senior Pharmacy Technician Patient Services
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01782 674597