Medicines Management Technician
- Band 5
- Full time: 37.5 hours per week (An average of 150 hours over a 4 week rota, to include early, normal and late shifts and weekend working.)
- Royal Stoke University Hospital
- Stoke on Trent
- £24,907 - £30,615 per annum
- Today at 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
Are you a highly motivated, enthusiastic and dedicated Pharmacy Technician? Do you have a passion for patient care? Do you want a new challenge? If the answer is yes then look no further!
The University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust (UHNM) is a large teaching hospital serving over 3 million people. The Trust has 2 hospital sites; The Royal Stoke Hospital and County Hospital in Stafford. The pharmacy team are forward thinking, enthusiastic and continually strive to improve the delivery of patient focused pharmaceutical care and optimise the use of medicines within the Trust. The pharmacy at Royal Stoke Hospital is a modern purpose built unit with a robot for dispensing and supply of stock to internal and external customers, we have an electronic medicines management system and we dispense in remote dispensing hubs at ward level.
Main duties of the job
The role will be undertaking medicines management duties at ward level including assessing patients own medicines, obtaining medication histories using summary care records and ordering patients medicines as part of discharge preparation. You will be a key member of the ward pharmacy team serving a range of specialities across the hospital site. The post holder will be given the opportunity to develop their clinical knowledge and undertake a nationally recognised medicines management and clinical prioritisation programme.
Working for our organisation
The UHNM NHS Trust covers Royal Stoke Hospital in Stoke on Trent and County Hospital in Stafford. Royal Stoke a large acute teaching hospital, with a Turnover of £360 million. Located in Stoke on Trent and Stafford, UHNM is close to the M6, within commuting distance of culturally diverse major conurbations, such as Manchester and Birmingham and surrounded by rural pleasures, including the Peak District National Park.
Each year Royal Stoke cares for over 600,000 people providing emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care. It is a leading teaching hospital in partnership with Keele University and has a patient-centred clinical research facility providing state-of-the-art facilities.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The pharmacy team are looking for flexible, highly motivated and enthusiastic staff to join our friendly and supportive team. You must have a positive attitude, excellent organisation and communication skills.
The post requires you to be a Professionally Qualified Pharmacy Technician holding either the BTEC or NVQ3 in Pharmaceutical Services. You must be registered with the General Pharmaceutical Council. You will also hold an Accredited Checking Technician (ACT) qualification or working towards. You will work with and assist Lead Pharmacy Technicians and Pharmacists in providing a wide range of Medicines Optimisation Pharmacy Services.
We have 2 posts which are full time covering an average of 150 hours per month to include weekend working and there will be a requirement to work bank holidays. The posts will be based at Royal Stoke Hospital, Stoke-on-Trent.
For further details / informal visits contact: For further information please contact Emma Shaw, Lead Pharmacy Technician – Surgery on 01782 674557 firstname.lastname@example.org or Paula Rhodes Lead Pharmacy Technician – Education and Training on 01782 674534 email@example.com
- NVQ level 3 in Pharmaceutical Services
- National Accredited Checking Technician (ACT) qualification
- Registered Pharmacy Technician with the General Pharmaceutical Council
- A1 NVQ Assessor Qualification or willing to undertake
- Member of the Association of Pharmacy Technicians
- Minimum 2 year post qualification experience in a Hospital
- Commitment and evidence of professional updating and continuous professional development
- Have up to date knowledge of specialist areas for ward based services; dispensary; aseptic; distribution and / or procurement.
- Patient counselling skills – pleasant professional manner; knowledge of use of medicines and advising patients; assessing patient’s pharmaceutical care needs.
- Previous experience of automation
- Previous experience of medicines management and patient’s own drug schemes or medicines management services to nursing / residential homes
Skills, Ability and Knowledge
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing e.g. good telephone manner, polite face to face, email, accurately record relevant details.
- Understand importance of, and adherence to standard operating procedures and UHNS policies
- Up to date knowledge of the legal requirements for dispensing and supplying medicines (including controlled drugs)
- Good knowledge of commonly prescribed drugs, their uses and main counselling points
- Able to communicate information about medicines when there is a barrier to understanding.
- Knowledge of medication safety and governance safety issues and the implications for dispensary and ward based services
- Able to deal with complaints / confrontations on wards and handle sensitive issues
- Supervisory skills to supervise Pharmacist Assistants, Students, Pre-Registration Students, Bank staff, Rotational Pharmacy Technicians
- Demonstrate knowledge with health and safety and COSHH risk assessments for safe working and good practice
- Staff management
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Paula Rhodes
- Job title
- Acting Senior Pharmacy Technician
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01782 674597