NHS AfC: Band 4
- Patient Experience
- NHS AfC: Band 4
- Part time - 35 hours per week
- Royal Stoke Hospital Site
- Stoke on Trent
- £22,549 - £24,882
- 26/01/2022 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
From 1st April 2022 all NHS workers in England with face to face contact with patients must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Only those with medical exemptions will be excluded from this requirement. Please consider this mandatory requirement when applying for this position.
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
Patient Experience Department
35 hours per week
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a PALS Officer to work as a member of the patient experience team creating a philosophy of enhanced customer service culture to assist University Hospitals of North Midlands to become the “hospitals of choice”.
Main duties of the job
This is an important and challenging role. The successful candidate will work as part of a small team with their own case load, providing cover for colleagues as required. This involves managing all aspects of individual concerns and complaints from receipt to resolution within agreed time limits.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, flexible person who is be able to demonstrate that they are passionate about patient care and safety and enjoys a busy working environment. Experience of handling difficult discussions and situations which reached a positive outcome are essential requirements of the role.
The post holder will primarily be based on the Royal Stoke University Hospital site; however as an integral part of the Patient Experience team, it is highly likely that some of the post holder’s time will be based at the Stafford County Hospital site.
For an informal chat and further information please contact Rebecca Pilling on 01782 676454
Working for our organisation
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust is one of the largest and most modern in the country. We serve around three million people and we’re highly regarded for our facilities, teaching and research. The Trust has around 1,450 inpatient beds across two sites in Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford. Our 11,000 strong workforce provide emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care from Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital in Stafford.
We are the specialist centre for major trauma for the North Midlands and North Wales. We have put together a wide range of development packages aimed at ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential. Our goal is to be a world-class centre of achievement, where patients receive the highest standards of care and the best people come to learn, work and research.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For more information on working for the Trust, please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
For more details on the post, please contact Rebecca Pilling (see contact details)
Education and Qualification
- Knowledge of NHS complaints handling acquired through training and experience to NVQ3 level or equivalent plus knowledge and experience to diploma level equivalent.
- Evidence of undertaking Customer care training or demonstrable experience.
- Counselling training Communication skills training
- Experience within an NHS complaints environment
- Demonstrable experience of working in a clinical or other pressurised environment
- Experience of producing written material (including response letters, reports and action plans) to a high standard
- Evidence of handling difficult discussions with patients and negotiating a positive outcome
- Experience of working in a number of departments within an NHS organisation.
Skills, Ability and Knolwedge
- A good knowledge and understanding of the NHS complaints process including investigation, confidentiality and consent procedures
- Skills in the use of electronic Complaints modules e.g. DATIX or other related tools
- Ability to communicate information clearly to Senior Managers, accurately and accessibly, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan meetings between clinical staff and complainants in highly sensitive and contentious situations
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Rebecca Pilling
- Job title
- Senior Sister Patient Experience, PALS & Volunteer Services Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01782 676450
If you have problems applying, contact
University Hospitals of North Midlands - Royal Stoke
Springfield Building, Floor 2 (Trust HQ)
Stoke on Trent
- Office: 01782 671437 OR VOIP: 01782 228396