Senior Radiotherapy Engineer
- Full time
- £31,365 - £37,890 PA
- Today at 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
Band 6 – Senior Radiotherapy Engineer
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated Senior Radiotherapy Engineer to join our Radiotherapy Engineering team. The replacement of our fleet of 4 linacs began in 2019 with the installation of 2 Varian Truebeam machines, with the final 2 (including the Halcyon linac) scheduled for 2021. The Trust is working closely with local charities to upgrade the Halcyon linac so that adaptive radiotherapy can be delivered to the patients of Staffordshire through Varian’s Ethos Adaptive Therapy System. In addition to this, several service developments are planned for the coming year including the delivery of Oligometastatic SABR. The introduction of these systems into routine use will provide excellent opportunities for personal development.
Main duties of the job
The post holder will be expected to
- provide an efficient and effective highly specialist technical support service to the Radiotherapy Department.
- participate in preventative maintenance, servicing, complex fault investigation and repair of highly complex therapy and diagnostic radiation equipment at the UHNM radiotherapy department.
- carry out routine scheduled quality assurance on radiotherapy equipment.
- supervise junior staff within the Engineering Department demonstrating the initiative, responsibility and autonomy required of a Senior Radiotherapy Engineer.
The Cancer Centre opened its doors in 2009 and offers advanced radiotherapy treatment from its 4 Varian linear accelerators and HDR brachytherapy service. Imaging support is provided by a newly commissioned in-house Siemens CT scanner and the treatment planning is performed using the Eclipse system. The Centre is determined to meet its aspiration of being a Centre of Excellence for cancer care.
Working for our organisation
University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust is one of the largest and most modern in the country. We serve around three million people and we’re highly regarded for our facilities, teaching and research. The Trust has around 1,450 inpatient beds across two sites in Stoke-on-Trent and Stafford. Our 11,000 strong workforce provide emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care from Royal Stoke University Hospital and County Hospital in Stafford.
We are the specialist centre for major trauma for the North Midlands and North Wales. We have put together a wide range of development packages aimed at ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential. Our goal is to be a world-class centre of achievement, where patients receive the highest standards of care and the best people come to learn, work and research.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
For greater detail of the post, please see the accompanying job description and person specification.
OR Contact Dr Craig Edwards Head of Radiotherapy/ Physics
- HND or equivalent in electronics, IT, mechanical or radiation engineering.
- BSc in electronics, mechanical or radiation engineering.
- Member of or working towards the Register for Clinical Technologists.
- Completion of relevant specialised postgraduate (MSc equivalent) training courses on medical linear accelerators.
- Experience of maintenance and fault finding within an engineering environment.
- Experience of ISO quality management system
- Experience of hardware and software computer skills.
Skills, Ability & Knowledge
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- Good fault finding and problem solving skills.
- Mechanical and electrical engineering expertise.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Craig Edwards
- Job title
- Head of Radiotherapy/ Physics
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01782 672536