NHS AfC: Band 5
- NHS AfC: Band 5
- Full time: 37.5 hours per week
- Royal Stoke
- Royal Stoke University Hospital
- £24,907 - £30,615 PA
- 01/02/2021 23:59
If there is a high volume of applications the advert may be closed early. Please apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. (This does not apply to any medical staffing posts)
Important Information: University Hospitals of North Midlands NHS Trust does not pay travel expenses for candidates attending interviews.
We are looking for full time rotational physiotherapists to work within the Therapies Department at the University Hospital of North Midlands. The Therapies department is made up of two divisional therapy teams within multiple clinical areas. The post offers the opportunity to work in an exciting University Hospital based on two hospital sites.
This is a rotational post working at both the Royal Stoke and County hospital sites. Supervision will be provided by Band 6/7 Physiotherapists and continuous professional development is supported through appraisal and internal and external training.
Therapy Services work within a 7 day shift system therefore the post holder will be required to work weekends, late shifts, bank holidays and overnight on call.
For further information or an informal visit please contact
Main duties of the job
• This is a rotational Band 5 Physiotherapy post between the Royal Stoke and County sites
• Examining, treating and advising patients, their relatives and carers under the guidance of a higher grade Therapist.
The Therapies Department comprises of two multidisciplinary based teams, the Medical & Surgical Team and the Specialised Services Team, incorporating both Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy. These teams form part of the Trust Medical, Surgical and Specialised Services Divisions. Each team is led by a Divisional Therapist, Mrs Noeleen Hellis leads the Specialised Services Therapy Team, Mrs Jane Teasdale leads the Medical & Surgical Therapy Team & Mrs Gaynor Travis for the County Hospital.
Administration, clerical and secretarial support is provided to both sites and teams by an A&C team. All Staff must be courteous to patients, their carer’s, the general public, other staff and contacts external to the Trust at all times.
Working for our organisation
The UHNM NHS Trust covers Royal Stoke Hospital in Stoke on Trent and County Hospital in Stafford. Royal Stoke a large acute teaching hospital, with a Turnover of £360 million. Located in Stoke on Trent and Stafford, UHNM is close to the M6, within commuting distance of culturally diverse major conurbations, such as Manchester and Birmingham and surrounded by rural pleasures, including the Peak District National Park.
Each year Royal Stoke cares for over 600,000 people providing emergency treatment, planned operations and medical care. It is a leading teaching hospital in partnership with Keele University and has a patient-centred clinical research facility providing state-of-the-art facilities.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
• To rotate through the full range of rotations provided by the university hospital trust including medical and surgical, neuro-rehabilitation and musculoskeletal therapies.
• Have an understanding of a wide range of clinical pathologies in the core areas of medical, surgical, neuro-rehabilitation, paediatric and musculoskeletal therapies.
• Understand and interpret diagnostic tests throughout the core rotational areas and have an awareness of their potential impact on physiotherapy intervention e.g. x-rays, ABG’s
• Screen patient appropriateness for physiotherapy intervention through review of medical documentation and other clinical information.
• Prioritise and plan own workload – and delegate to support staff as appropriate.
• Participates in discharge planning: assessing patient’s safety, appropriateness for Intermediate Care (IC) / Rehabilitation bed.
• To undertake independent on-call and out of hours emergency duties.
• To undertake assessment of patients with a range of conditions.
Qualifications or Equivalent
- Degree/Diploma in Physiotherapy or nearing completion
- Registered with HCPC on commencement of post
- Evidence of relevant CPD
- Broad range of clinical placements as a student
- Demonstrate relevant work experience within the NHS
- Acute Hospital experience
- Experience in core specialities - resp/mks & neuro
Skills, Ability & Knowledge
- Evidence to support own development
- Ability to provide examples of situations when worked as part of a team
- Good communicator in writing
- Worked in a role where they can apply the knowledge of compassions, courage, commitment, communication & competence in relation to the care of a patient in a care setting
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Jane Teasdale
- Job title
- Therapy Manager Medical & Surgical Division
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Additional information